Friday, July 24, 2009

Homemade PopTarts!

Watch Out Kellog, you ain't got nothing on mama.



So poor Matt has felt really mistreated the past few mornings because I have been staying in bed and then getting up at 8:30 or 9:00 and making the boys nice breakfast's, such as Muffins, french toast etc. So I dragged my tired Booty out of bed this morning and made him homemade PopTarts, which he loves, but I think they taste like fruity cardboard and are gross. Good thing about these, I have made a convert out of my boys, the bad thing about these, I have made a convert out of my boys and now they will always want these, I need to see if I can freeze these so the boys can toast them on school mornings.

These are also VERY easy if you use a refrigerated pie crust.

Pie crust, refrigerated
Jam or Preserves
Glaze
Sparkling Sugar ( only if you want it to look like a pop tart)
Directions:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Unroll one of the pie crusts and square the edges. Cut into rectangles. Place 1 tsp of jam in the center of a rectangle and top with another piece of crust. Crimp all four edges. You can seal with a little melted butter if you want it to look more like a pop tart and not a fried pie. Repeat until all of the pie crust is used. I also took the rounded edges that I cut off and rolled them together to form more pop-tarts. They weren’t as “pretty” as the others but I did not waste anything.

Bake for about 7 – 8 minutes or until slightly brown. Once cool, pour glaze over and decorate with sugar.



To Make the Glaze:

1 cup powder sugar
milk to thin
Place powdered sugar in bowl. I find that a milk capful and half is usually enough to make the perfect glaze.

No comments: