Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Berry Blissful Sunny Muffins


SO this weekend, as I was preparing for Cub scouts and and enjoying the rainy Saturday, thanks to Hurricane Ike, I decided it was time to bake, because that is the best way to spend a rainy day. I had been craving muffins, so I found a batter Basic for muffins and then went rummaging through my cabinets for something to add to it. I could not find anything there, but my freezer held lots of goodies. I had about a 1/2 cup of sliced strawberries, I had gotten earlier that summer, I found Blueberries I had bought to make cobbler with but only used half of and a couple of old bananas sitting on my counter top and some granola in my pantry rounded it out. I call them my Berry Blissful Sunny Muffins and Peyton called them little bites of Heaven! I think he ate half of them! The pictures do not do them justice, since all you can see are the blueberries, but they were YUM! Here is the recipe.

1/2-1 cup strawberries, chopped
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (if you substitute self rising flour you can omit the baking soda and salt)
Pinch ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 ripe banana, mashed
2 large eggs
1/4 cup canola oil
1 lemon, zested
1/2 pint blueberries
1 cup granola

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, whisk together the mashed banana, eggs, oil, 1 cup sugar, strawberries, and lemon zest.

Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined. Do not over mix. Fold in blueberries and granola.

Scoop batter evenly into muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean, about 30 minutes.

No comments: