Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Altered Canvas for a Special Teacher






Being a teacher, I know how wonderful it feels to know that not just the students appreciate you, but that the parents appreciate you as well. Both of my boys have had the same 2nd grade teacher, and next to Cole's Kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Cullen, by far, has been the best teachers they have had. 2nd grade was hard for both of them. 2nd Grade is when we realized that Cole had Dyslexia, and any other teacher would have kept telling me to let him wait it out another 6 weeks, that it was normal for my child to be as frustrated as Cole was with Spelling homework, and let me tell you, he was FRUSTRATED! But Mrs. Cullen REALY listened to me as a parent and helped Cole so much, and made what could have been a horrible year, one of Cole's best. We have hit a few snags this year as well with Peyton, his though, is more laziness than anything, although she has had his best interest at heart and suggested testing for dyslexia, because the precious boy cannot write a number in the correct direction if his life depended on it. Thankfully he tested above normal in everything, so I guess he will just always write his 2's and 5's backwards.


Anyway, I have jumped at the chance to do whatever I could to show Mrs. Cullen how much I appreciate what she has done not just for my boys, but all the 2nd graders she has ever taught! This year the class gift to her is a gardening theme and I had all the students in her class make fingerprint flowers. I then wrote their names as the stems, and added them to my altered canvas. I will also be including the final frame at the end with an inspirational quote. I hope that she likes it, I'm not 100% sure I like it, I mean sometimes I look at it and go Yes, I like it, then I look again and go, is it missing something or does it have too much and should I hang a ribbon from it so she can use that to hang it by???? Any feedback you want to give me would be appreciated, I have another week to fix it if I need to.

Well I am tired, so I am going to bed, but hope to see you again real soon!

No comments: