Saturday, August 30, 2008

Back To School


So we all went back to school this week and BOY what a week it was. I don't think teaching has ever exhausted me as much as this week did. Each night I looked forward to 8:30 when Cole would go to bed so that I could go to bed! Even the boys were worn out, On 2 separate days a neighbor friend came over to ask to play and they were too tired to go out and play and they were both out like a light 5 minutes after going to bed. By the end of the week we had a little more energy but we were ready for Family Pizza and Movie night by Friday. We watched The Goonies, the boys loved it and went to bed at 9 with no complaints! Normally Friday nights I get the, AWWW c'mon it is the weekend we don't have school, nope not last night.


Cole and Peyton both love their teachers,which is good, Peyton had 3 of his best friends in class with him, which is kind of scary since he is a chatterbox, but I am sure his teacher has already found out since on his 3rd day of school he got a note home for not following directions and not listening. He swears he could not hear his teacher, and he thought he was staying where he was supposed to, so I am not sure what it was but he was good the next day. I am thinking about getting his hearing checked though, one of the things that was associated with that Branchial Cleft Cyst he had as a baby was 70% chance of hearing loss later in life, not significant hearing loss but some hearing loss, and I have been wondering with his slight lisp and the other issues he has had with his ears in the past if maybe he does have a slight hearing loss or if he will outgrow these things. IF hearing is fine I am going to call and see if they can have a speech therapist evaluate him at school t o see if he can get services through Denton to correct his lisp. I kind of don't want to do this, because he is my baby and it is so sweet when he says ZZZZANK YOU! But I also don't want him to get to 5th grade saying it.

Cole of course, is my model student, and was named so in his class this week. He takes after his aunt, he loves to brown nose the teacher and he is such a good kid, he always makes me proud. HE is really enjoying 3rd grade so far. HE was really worried about homework, but after a few days of hearing from the teachers he has he thinks he can handle it just fine.

They are both loving ESD and told me I could wait until 5:15 or even 6 to come and get them because they are having so much fun, but then again they did not have homework this week, so we will see when they start making them do their homework before they can play :)

Now onto my school week, well schedules are still not worked out, they gave us a new system called Zangle, which screwed everything up as to how we have always done stuff and lo and behold appearantly we have always been doing t wrong and no one higher up has ever told us we were doing it wrong, so it has been a night mare, the new teacher even came in on Friday and said if they had still had her old position open back in Canada, she would have turned in her resignation and gone back to it. She has had a lot of bad things happen since she took this job and she is wondering if maybe this was not the move for them to make. She has poor circulation so they decided to move to Texas to get out of the cold of Canada and moved in with some friends in Gainesville, whihc was only suppose to be for a few weeks, but they found they could not buy a house here because they have no american credit, only canadian, so no one will loan them money and they own their 2 houses outright in Canada and MOntanna. Mom has said she can do it, but they decided to sell their house in Canada first so they can pay cash for a house here, or only finance a small amount. And according to her houses sell within weeks in Canada, but hers has sat on the market for 3 weeks and no sale. Ok I really do not know Canadian Real Estate but this sounds a little extreme to think a house will sell that quickly unless you are in a hot market, but whatever. She is still driving in daily from Gainseville, a 1 1/2 hour drive one way, she wound up enrolling her daughter in Gainseville schools until they can get a place here, she bought a brand new Infinity the week before school and it has had electrical problems from the first week and it has been in the shop for over a week now and she has not gotten home before 9 most days. Yeah I think I would want to quit too.
Now my days have been hectic I have not had a conference period all week, I am already dealing with paraprofessional issues, and fights happening, but I am nipping this early on so we are not in the principal's office once a week, and I am not sure I am liking how we are doing our new teaching. I like the fact we are meeting as a large group, but it feels frantic, unorganized and I don't think we are reaching all the kids I proposed on Friday that maybe we do 2 group activities a day and then split up into smaller groups so we are going to try that next week. I think that may work but I am sure there will be a few more tweaks along the road before we get it running smoothly.

SO anyway, it is the weekend and I laid in bed until 10:30 today watching cooking shows, and I got up to do laundry only to realize I had enough soap to do one load and that load is almost done so I need to run to the store and buy some more. We plan on lying around today, I am going to make up the next 2 weeks menu and go shopping for groceries tonight, and I was given some Hawaiian Falls tickets by my classroom aide yesterday, which are expensive, but her son worked there, so I surprised the boys with and we will go Sunday after church. No crafting for me this weekend, well maybe a couple of Starbucks Frappacino boxes turned into a pencil box crafts fro Colettes room, but other than that I will be relaxing and working on the ARD paperwork for my new student who came over from the Jr. High without any! Have a great week, and hopefully I won't be too tired to post some new pics.

No comments: